Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Words in Snowden's Mouth: Credible?

Whether one thinks NSA leaker Edward Snowden a hero or a villain, the manifesto (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/russia/10154064/Edward-Snowdens-WikiLeaks-statement-in-full.html)recently attributed to him is clearly not written by an American. This makes Snowden deceptive or too insipid to stand up to his handler(s) and articulate his own thoughts. Here, through an investigator's lens, are some of the telltale indicators that someone without an ear for Standard American English is putting words into the leaker's mouth:

- "My freedom and safety were under threat." This is not idiomatic, American English. Americans don't say "under threat." We might say "my freedom and safety were threatened" or something "threatened my freedom and safety."

- "My continued liberty has been owed" follows the same pattern. It is out of place. Americans do not say "has been owed" when they can say "I owe my continued freedom to ..."

- "Extralegal penalty" is the kind of term only a lawyer would use, not something to spring forth from a young, unworldly techie.

- "The United States of America have been" is a dead giveaway. USA is singular, not plural. Drunk or sober, a native American English speaker won't get this wrong.

- "Their purpose is to frighten, not me, but those who would come after me" suggests the author has come to English as a second language. The punctuation is wrong for "not me" but the real tell is the incorrect use of "come after me." The author clearly means to use this term in the sense of those who follow in his or her place. However, "come after" in this usage lends itself to the interpretation of "chase me." To an American speaker and writer, "come after me" is something to expect of pursuers, not apostles.

What this manifesto reveals is not Snowden's depth so much as his lack of substance. By letting an unseen puppet master pull his strings, the Snowden marionette only proves himself a pawn in someone else's game.

-- Nick Catrantzos